Monday, January 28, 2008

There's nothing wrong with Molly Hatchet.

I'm being serious. Why is it necessary to knock bands like this? Yeah, their fan base is mostly made up of people whose family trees have no branches, but that's no reason to not indulge in riff-rock boogies now and then. Case in point: "Fall Of The Peacemakers", an 8-minute epic with all the makings of a "Freebird" or a "Green Grass & High Tides", yet it's been unjustly forgotten by the rock masses. Fuck it, I'm bringing it back. Call up your nearest cock-rock radio station and request it. Or download it, but don't ask me where. I'm a sap that doesn't know the free sites.

Yes, I still buy CDs. I enjoy buying CDs. The used section at the local FYE is wonderful. I can go in there and methodically go through each letter, perhaps coming across a buried gem. Like yesterday, I picked up these albums:

Fu Manchu - King Of The Road
Type O Negative - October Rust
Cathedral - The Ethereal Mirror
Sepultura - Morbid Visions (!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Yes, I found the first Sepultura album in a fucking FYE for 6 dollars! Try doing that at a Virgin megastore. I got all 4 of these albums for less than 30 dollars. "Yeah", you might say, "but I downloaded them all for free rofl!!1". Well guess what, Sally: I've got the artwork and an actual physical product in my hands. What happens when your computer crashes? Oh noes!

I'm not knocking everyone who downloads all their music. I've done it with a few songs and albums here and there, singles and other stuff I can't find elsewhere. It's a good thing to do with bands you're not sure of yet, too. I downloaded an Angel Corpse album, and totally dug it so now I'll most likely buy a CD of theirs next time. What I can't stand are the elitist pricks that think buying CDs is for "sheep" or "consumer whores". Hey asshole, it's not like I'm clamoring for the next Timberlake album. 95% of what I buy is on independent labels or at shows directly from the band, so it's helping in a small way. Music Nazi punks fuck off!

I was going to do an album review, but I don't feel like it anymore. Here's today's cool live video: Napalm Death in Vienna last March.

No comments: